Monday, October 1, 2007

Resource book update

I completed my original page for the resource book. I made copies of it and presented it at staff meeting. The teachers were all enthusiastic about the idea. I am coordinating the resource book with the volunteer coordinators (who are two of the teachers). There is one folder of blank pages, and one folder of completed pages in my mailbox for now. Once we get more, I will create a binder to place them in.

So far the volunteer coordinators say they have been really helpful. It helps to get to know the volunteer better and to open up discussion about their experience and skills.

The completed pages have not been made available to the students yet. However, yesterday I had a conversation with an alumni who said her major critic of the Free School is that when students express interest in a certain topic the teachers are still too hands off. She said that if a student is interested in gardening, for example, they might not know where to start learning about it. Another critique she had was that students sometimes don't know that they might be interested in a certain subject, or know that it is available. I think my idea for a resource book could help alleviate these problems by giving teachers people to connect students with on problems and by giving students ideas of different subjects to learn.

From here, I need to encourage volunteers who are already active in the school to fill them out, along with teachers.

No comments: