Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cute Story

This week at school while I was teaching my German class, a group of Free Schoolers went to this place called People's Island. It is on the Hudson River. It is an island, but it is tall with cliffs, and you have to hike to get to the top.

Before they started hiking the teachers told the students that due to the danger of the cliffs they expected to the students to stay behind the teacher who was leading, and to not run ahead of the group. They told the students that if they ran ahead, they would have to hold the hand of a teacher.

They began their trek up the side of the island, and sure enough one of the youngest students runs ahead of the pack to peek out over the side of the cliff, "Now Justin," says the teacher, "We warned you at the bottom to not run ahead. If you continue to run ahead you will have to hold my hand."

The group continues. Justin stays behind for a little while, but before too long runs ahead of the group again. "Ok. I warned you. You have to hold my hand now." Justin holds the teacher's hand without any protest, "I wanted to hold your hand! That's why I ran ahead."

No comments: